A disappointing end to a great season for Penybont as they lose to Newtown in the Cymru Premier European Playoff semi-final. 

A goal from Jamie Breese in the last few minutes of the game saw Newtown progress into the final. 

Rhys Griffiths’ side were hoping to carry on their promising season with a win after a great end to the season which saw them finish in fourth place. 

Penybont started off the much better side with plenty of chances to put the game to bed but failed to convert these opportunities.

As soon as the game started the home side were on the attack, as Ashley Evans had a shot blocked from the edge of the box after great play from kick-off. 

Soon after, Penybont came close again after a header from Ismail Yakubu was cleared off the line.  

Rhys Griffiths’ side continued the tremendous pressure from the start but failed to take advantage after a header was missed by Sam Snaith from a ball off his strike partner, Ben Ahmun. 

Newtown’s first chance came from Nick Rushton who had a shot from the edge of the box which was blocked by Bont midfielder, Ashley Evans. 

It was a heart in the mouth moment for the away side in the 20th minute, as a ball from Kane Owen was intercepted by Shane Sutton whose block almost beat his own goalkeeper, Dave Jones. 

The first half hour of the game was all Penybont as they continued to look to open the scoring. 

Newtown had some luck down the right after a low ball across the box from captain Craig Williams was met by Bont defender Dan Jefferies who flicked it over the bar. 

Soon into the second half, Nathan Wood made a great chance for himself as he cut onto his right foot and shot but his attempt was denied by the post. 

Newtown had a good chance to break the deadlock after winger Fumpa Mwandwe, who was a threat all game, cut inside onto his right foot but the shot was blocked by Yakubu. 

In the 70th minute, Mwandwe engineered himself into a great position but his shot was off target. 

Soon after this, Penybont went down the other end and nearly took advantage of a mistake from goalkeeper Jones after he miskicked the ball straight to Ahmun’s feet but he failed to convert. 

As the longer the game went on, the nervier both teams started to look as they look to score the put them into the final. 

Heartbreak came for Penybont towards the end of the game, substitute Jamie Breese scored for the away side to open the scoring after a goalmouth scramble fell to his feet in which he found the bottom corner. 

Harrison Kidd