Flint survive late comeback as Penybont fall short.

Penybont suffered their first defeat in five at the SDM Glass Stadium, with goals from Sam Hart and Callum Bratley proving to be enough for the visitors.

The opening stages were largely dominated by Flint as their physicality made it difficult for Penybont to get a foothold in the game, with a majority of the first half being played in the air.

The first chance of the game went the way of the visitors, with Sam Hart’s cross from the left flank being met with a free header from Josh Amis, who couldn’t quite guide the ball into the far corner.

Bont’s first opportunity to threaten the Flint goalkeeper, Jonathan Rushton, came in the 21st minute. Kane Owen’s near post delivery found Kostya Georgievsky, who did well to generate power behind the header but couldn’t steer it on target.

The hosts came into their own with longer spells on the ball around the half hour mark but did little to make life difficult for the Flint back line.

The visitors found their opening goal around the 35 minute mark, predictably from a set piece. A quality in swinger from Sam Hart caused panic within the Bont area, with the cross finding the back of the net after a deflection.

It would be harsh to say that the goal wasn’t deserved as the visitors got their reward for winning their aerial battles.

Flint Town United score their first goal scored by Sam Hart of Flint Town United
Penybont v Flint Town United at Bryntirion Park in the JD Cymru Premier on the 20th March 2021.Lewis Mitchell/Penybont FC

Despite the hosts threatening with crosses from Oliver Dalton, Flint doubled their lead thanks to Callum Bratley who managed to control Thomas Kemp’s cross and finish into the bottom corner, wrong footing Ashley Morris.

Bont almost replied immediately, with Lewis Harling heading inches wide in what was the hosts’ best chance of the half.

Penybont manager, Rhys Griffiths, stated his intentions at the start of the second half with a triple substitution and a formation change as he brought on Lewis Clutton, Matthew Harris and Sam Snaith for Oliver Dalton, Connor Davies and Ben Ahmun.

Tensions rose early on after the interval, with the referee dishing out four yellow cards in the same instance for a handbags situation that was the result of a hard challenge on Kane Owen deep into Penybont’s half.

Penybont v Flint Town United at Bryntirion Park in the JD Cymru Premier on the 20th March 2021.Lewis Mitchell/Penybont FC

Lewis Clutton proved to be a necessary bright spark as he carved a chance out of nothing, turning passed Kai Edwards near the by-line, but was unable to sneak the ball through the legs of Rushton.

The second half was mostly dominated by Bont, with the away side looking to just defend their lead.

Georgievsky had another good chance cutting inside from the left flank, but his low drilled effort whistled just wide of the post.

Flint nearly struck a third goal in response, with Josh Amis cutting inside in similar fashion and forcing Ashley Morris into a brilliant save.

Georgievsky continued to ask questions of the visitors as he came close to finishing off a wonderful team move, with his effort finding the side netting from a tight angle in the latter stages.

As Bont continued to push for a goal late on, Nathan Wood managed to test the keeper with a curling left footed strike from the edge of the area.

Clutton was rewarded for his efforts as he found a late goal deep into added time, adding tension to the last few minutes of the game.

The push was too little too late for Penybont however, with Flint managing to grind the result out for a hard fought 2-1 win.

The result means that Penybont remain fourth in the league table, just a point ahead of Barry after 20 games each.

Kostya Georgievsky of Penybont (C) at full time
Penybont v Flint Town United at Bryntirion Park in the JD Cymru Premier on the 20th March 2021.Lewis Mitchell/Penybont FC

Owen Gardner